Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bookish Dreams and Other Speculations

I believe every reader has his or her own unfulfilled bookish dreams. I have quite a few.

To be gifted a book on my Birthday (or on any occasion for that matter) has to be the one on top of the list! Amazingly, no one has ever gifted me a book that I had not myself chosen in prior. Sometimes I would get a gift voucher. The problem is, before I buy a book I tend to do a lot of 'research'. I look at a book and say "Hey! This seems interesting!", but I never buy it immediately. I read up a lot of reviews and quite some time would pass before I decide to read it. The freshness and joy of discovering something new is always lost this way. The Fellowship of the Ring, Three Men in a Boat, Agatha Christie's The Big Four and Asimov's Foundation are some of the few books that I happened to read in a considerable state of ignorance and those experiences are still unbeatable.

So that's the major one. Some of the others are - to form a 'Sunday Book Club', rummage through a second-hand bookshop and discover some unknown masterpiece, get together with another reader and spook each other out by reading aloud M. R. James's ghost stories on Halloween night and so on ad infinitum.

A comment by my Hyper Rational Alter Ego: No! I don't think this can be an infinite series. The number of such fantasies that can be entertained by any given individual must surely be finite.

No comments:

Post a Comment