Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Library of Babel

I've decided to add a new page, The Library of Babel, to this blog. The stimulants behind this effort are the Recommended Reading and Books Read in 2010 pages in Heather's blog, Say the Trees Have Ears. In the Recommended Reading page she maintains a list of short descriptions of books that may be of interest to readers of her blog, apart from being her own favourites. The Books Read in 2010 page contains a list of books that she has so far finished (re)reading this year. She rates these books on a scale of 0-5. One amazing thing I came to know on reading her entry For the Love of Books is that she's read 156 (!) books in 2009 alone and on an average reads 100 books a year! That's truly amazing for someone like me, because I'm not sure if I've finished reading a hundred books in all my years as a serious reader, though I must have read hundreds of books in bits and parts. However, I've always wanted to maintain a list of the books in my collection (library?). So, The Library of Babel will contain the ever evolving list of my favourite books (regardless of whether they've been read in full and digested or only nibbled at!) and maybe, as well, a small list of those books that I intend to add to my collection (and read!) in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. You have some interesting posts here, Surendran, and I would also like to thank you for your kind comment over at my own blog. It is wonderful to see someone being partly inspired by something that I have done. And I am also glad to meet another bibliophile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather, for your comment! Ever since I started blogging, I've had this feeling that I'm more or less talking just to myself. It's nice to know what others think about my writings. And by the way, The Library of Babel page is "active" now!

    ReplyDelete